Monday, May 19, 2008

Does the !New tag annoy you?


Are you a bit sick of that !New tag that appears beside a new item uploaded to a library? Well, you are not alone. I am repeatedly asked this question in our Applying SharePoint 2007 Core class: "How do I get rid of that annoying !New tag?" or "How long does an item really stays new?" J. Usually students ask these questions because they have uploaded/migrated a bunch of documents from their file share which are not really "new", but they get the !New tag assigned to them anyway.






Ok, so here are the answers:
First of all, this feature applies to not only Document Libraries, but also to other Lists such as Tasks, Issues, Contacts, Links etc. In the default installation of SharePoint, the "!New" tag gets appended to every new item in SharePoint lists and remains there for one calendar day. An administrator who has access to the SharePoint server has two options when changing the behavior of this feature:
  1. Increase the number of days the icon should appear beside a new item in the list
  2. Eliminate the appearance of the icon altogether
The stsadm.exe utility (located in the SharePoint server) is used to accomplish this task. Navigate to stsadm's location using a command prompt:
..\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\60\bin
The "setproperty" command will be used for this task as follows:
stsadm.exe –o setproperty –pn days-to-show-new-icon –pv (number of days) –url (Virtual server address)

For example, use the following syntax to prevent the new tag from appearing:
stsadm.exe –o setproperty –pn days-to-show-new-icon –pv 0 –url http://(your server name)

Hope this helps!

7 comments:

@binarybrewery said...

So correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't this then change the !New tag for all objects on the virtual server that you're dealing with - not just a specific site collection or web application? Or can it be scoped to a site collection / site / web app?

Asif Rehmani (MVP) said...

You can scope this at a web application level. So suppose you have two web apps:
Portal.awbikes.com
Extranet.awbikes.com

You can specify the Portal.awbikes.com as the virtual server (web app) which will not show the !New tag anymore. The other one (Extranet.awbikes.com) will continue to show the tag.

Anonymous said...

Great post. Although a simple thing, I think almost every sharepoint admin has been asked about that green !New-tag.

I just linked your post in my german sharepoint blog.
(www.sharepointblogs.com/wirkus)

hospitalwebguy said...

Our hospital is currently using WSS as our Intranet and I have the following questions.
I have tested our SharePoint using the 'Expires' date and it is not working correctly, can you help?
1. I place dates to expire on some sites and the dates have past and it still show on the site.
2. We have a link to an EACH all Messages and the old message are not expiring. This is to 'cut' down on e-mails.
3. Any ideas on how lone the '! New' will still o new document?
Hope you can 'point' me in the correct direction on where I can find some answers.
Thanks

Anonymous said...

No it doesn't annoy me. It actually helps our employees identify the new stuff.
I'm looking to add an !Updated tag to announcements that have been edited or updated. How do I do that?
Michele
mgrogean@beavercreektownship.org

Anonymous said...

So how do you get the !New tag to show up on your RSS feeds site? If I make a new announcement in a list the announcement shows up on my RSS feeds site but the !New tag doesn't show up there like it does in the list library where I created the announcement. How can I make it appear in the RSS feed? Also can I add an !Updated tag to existing announcements that I've edited ot changed and it also show up in the RSS feeds site?

Ranjani Rajagopalan said...

Hi,

I need to show "update" just like new keyword whenever the document is updated.Can you please guide me